23 November 2012

Friday Favourite - Perfume


A couple of years ago, when I worked as Beauty Editor at Shout magazine, I remember everyone’s favourite day at work. And no, it wasn’t Friday…
It was the day, every month or two, when we held a free-for-all with all the awesome beauty products sent in by various PR companies. It resulted in us walking away from the office with bags of goodies, stuffed full of perfumes, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, skin treats, fake tan, false eyelashes, nail polish and everything else one could possibly need to look hot in time for the weekend.
From Bobbi Brown to Burberry, you name it, they were in there, but no matter how many awesome eye shadows, lipsticks or hair products I might rake through, my favourite part of this cosmetic playground was always the perfumes.

It was the easiest way to form a collection (and an addiction) that cost me absolutely nothing, and not only that, these gratis perfumes provided me with a temporary streak in the popularity contest when friends realised I had more than enough for myself and was handing them out.
But there was always one perfume that had to remain mine. That one perfume I didn’t mind buying so long as I didn’t have to wait for it, and the one perfume that no matter how many others I buy, is always my failsafe reach-for regular on any occasion.

Meet Dolce & Gabbana, The One.



Apparently, this “warm, oriental floral” is led by top notes of mandarin and peach, followed by a jasmine heart and beautiful base notes of vanilla, amber and musk, with some plum in there, just for good measure. Honestly speaking, I don’t really bother too much about these top notes, hearts and bases (*waves hand nonchalantly*). I just follow my nose.
I love sweet scents. I don’t mind them a touch floral but I’m no grandma. I don’t like anything borderline talcum powder and I like my perfume fairly strong if it’s for evening or occasions. Enough to turn a head or two but not so much that you can taste the damn stuff.

Coming a close second to D&G’s The One, is Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle which is a mood-lifting, confidence-boosting wonder in a bottle. Perhaps it works as my daytime go-to, where The One is spot on for night-time soirees.

Either way, the common denominator for both is that, each time you spritz yourself with either, you feel as if your outfit became classier, your hair became shinier, your teeth a little whiter and, all in all, you just feel a bit more all-round awesome.
Whoever said the answers to your problems aren’t at the bottom of a bottle...? You just need to find the right one!

What's your favourite perfume?

Love from D&G Dolly x

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21.1.14

    Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog.
    You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some content for
    your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me
    an e-mail if interested. Regards!

    Feel free to surf to my site :: http://www.eastvillagearts.org/

    ReplyDelete

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...